There are many things you need to consider when building an email list. One of the most important things you need to get right is your lead magnet, it’s needs to suck your prospects in like a Dyson. This is achieved by giving away valuable, top quality information that people can’t wait to get their hands on.
In fact, the last thing you want to do is giveaway some half baked report, as your subscribers may well think that you don’t have anything of value to share – and will be less likely to open your future emails.
Instead you should be giving them your best information, so they can see that you know what you’re talking about, that you can offer value and are serious about helping them.
Don’t just stick with one format for your lead magnet though, instead try as many as you can and see what you get the best results with. People tend to have a preference to how they consume information, some like to read a pdf, others prefer video, while there are those that would appreciate a cheat sheet or a case study.
Below are 18 different lead magnet ideas you can use to build your lists faster than ever before.
- Cheat SheetsQuick and simple to follow information can be conveyed with a cheat sheet. People love them as they give the bare bones of a method or system and are easily consumed.
Remember people also love actionable content, stuff they can readily use to improve their position. It could be ‘5 steps to getting 1st page rankings’ or ‘how to create a product in 5 steps’, what ever niche you’re in the information must offer value.
- PDF ReportOffer a report that is informative and actionable. It doesn’t have to be a long report, but it must give the reader something of value. Get to the point and don’t pad the report out.
- Offer an eBookOnce again if you’re going to offer an eBook then it has to be of high quality and offer value. Although in essence your eBook maybe a lengthy report, it does have a higher perceived value to a potential subscriber than a report.
You could try offering the first few chapters of an eBook you’re trying to sell, and then encourage the reader to purchase the complete eBook.
Alternatively, you could offer the full eBook in exchange for them sharing your landing page or site with people on social media. You would need to use a plugin or software script to achieve this, but the effort is worth it as the viral marketing aspect of this approach can really boost your list building efforts.
- Run a WebinarYou can really boost your credibility if you run a webinar. It’s a great way to present yourself as an expert, and if you share really valuable information you’ll stick in the mind of the subscriber.
You can also interact with your audience through the chat box feature, allowing you to receive valuable feedback while building trust.Webinars are a great way to sell mid and high ticket products. This can be done by offering enormous free value during the webinar, while building anticipation for your ‘must have’ product that you pitch at the end of the webinar.
- Email CourseOffering an Email course over 7 days is a great way to build engagement with your subscriber. The format could be either written or as a video course.
With a course you get the chance to build anticipation from one email to the next, leaving each part of the course as a cliff hanger. If you do this well people won’t hesitate opening your emails, which can be a major stumbling block in the world of Email marketing.
- Offer SoftwareIf you have a software product you’re trying to sell you could offer a lite version as a free download. If the subscriber thinks it is of value then you’re doing your job right as an email list builder and marketer.
Getting people to upgrade to the full paid version shouldn’t take too much persuasion, as long as your software is a quality product and solves a problem.
- Case StudiesAre a great way to build credibility, instead of giving anecdotal and theoretical information you are giving your subscriber hard facts.
People don’t just want to see proof of a method working either, they want to see exactly what you did to achieve your results. Use screen shots and video to back-up your case study claims.
You’ll find that people love real life examples, it makes them think that they can achieve the same or similar results.
- Discount CouponsPeople love bargains, and the chance to save some money. Offering money off a product you are selling is a great way to build a list of potential buyers./
Using urgency will also push them into signing up. For example, “Get a 75% Off Coupon for Product XYZ! Next 24 Hours Only!”
- TemplatesYou could for example offer a high converting landing page template as a lead magnet. If it’s a landing page that you have been successful with, then there’s no reason why your subscriber can’t have similar success.
Giving away your best templates will get you a lot of respect from your subscribers, as they will see you as someone who has value to offer.
- InfographicsA graphical way of delivering core information. People are busy, they may not have the time to read your 70 page eBook, but everyone has time to peruse an entertaining infographic.
- Giveaway a Free SampleIf you have a course you are trying to promote why not giveaway one of the best parts of your course. Always give your best information away as you want to get your subscriber salivating for more of what you have to offer.
- Offer a ConsultationIf you have a high ticket product you’re trying to sell, offering a one on one free consultation can be a good idea. This can be carried out via Skype, phone, messenger or email.
Only use this to build a list of high ticket prospects otherwise it’s too much work to promote something with a low price, such as a $7 product. Limit the time that you run the offer until you get the amount of people you can deal with effectively (25 is an ideal number.)
- Run a Contest or QuizPeople love the idea of winning something. Get them to sign up for the chance of winning something of value. Run the competition for a week and tell subscribers you will announce the winner at the end of the week.
Tip: This is a good time to get people to white list your email address, as they are more likely to do this if they think they may win, but if they don’t white list you any future emails from you may end up in their spam folder.
- Tools & Resource GuideOffer potential subscribers a resource guide such as “Top 10 Tools to Build a Cash Stomping Email list.”
Make sure that there is genuine value in the information in your free download.
- Giveaway Swipe FilesOffering a complete autoresponder sequence that has been proven to convert would be of great appeal to subscribers, saving them hours and hours of writing time.
- Checklist GiveawayA checklist offers a quick way for a subscriber to tick off what they should be doing to get results. They’re simple to make and easy for your subscribers to consume.
- Offer a Free TrialYou could offer a trial of your software for a limited amount of time, or if you have a membership site you could offer a free trial of that, perhaps free for 1, 3 or 7 days.
Free trials really perform well as lead generators as there’s a lot of perceived value in what you have to offer.
- List of FactsPresenting a list of facts is a quick way to convey key information to your subscribers.
For example you could offer a free giveaway titled, “10 Key Facts You Should Consider Before Getting an Autoresponder.” or “10 Facts You Should Know Before Selling With PayPal.”
Keep it short, punchy and to the point. On your sign-up page you could let people know how many years it took you to learn these things or how much money you lost before knowing these facts.
Whatever type of lead magnet you create make sure it is high quality, relevant and up to date. Skimping on your lead magnet creation will reflect badly on you, your company, your products and your services.
A Good Lead Magnet Must…
- Contain great value
- Be related to the topic of your email list
- Be short and concise
- Offer a solution to a big problem
- Solve a very specific problem
- Be exclusive and only available from you
- When feasible, encourage people to buy a related product
A good lead magnet solves one main problem and gets to the point quickly and without fuss. The better your lead magnet is able to solve a subscribers problem the more trust you will build with that subscriber.